• Seventh Graders off to Superb Second Year of Middle School News Site

The student news site of Pilgrim Middle School

Pilgrim Pioneer

Hear the Roar of the Lion King

Ms. Miller

Ms. Miller

Sadie S., Reporter

The famous Lion King story will be brought to Pilgrim’s theatre, choreographed by Ms. Miller and Dr. Sheryl.   Students have been rehearsing since late 2016, and the show will be performed for the entire school on Wednesday, April 26 on the Stuart Hall stage.

As the all-school play, it gives younger and older students a chance to show their talents and skills in theatre, and also gives Pilgrim an opportunity to experience the Lion King once more.

Ms. Miller explains that since they’ve made a Lion King Jr. version they will have to take out a few songs. “It will be about an hour, or hour and a half, with intermission.”

As most people already know the Lion King story, Ms. Miller will be adding new characters to make it more creative and interesting. “We added meerkats, frogs, monkeys, scorpions, and baby elephants. Therefore, we had to add extra dialogue. Dr.Sheryl is a huge part of the creative section; she teaches the songs and music, choreographs the musical numbers, and is also a producer.”                                                                 

Since the Lion King play is made up with animals, Ms.Miller decided to purchase costumes with the help of donations from Milken School and other places as well.

However, she says that in addition to relying on their costumes, the actors will need to portray their characters with body movements.

“We got a generous donation of money to help purchase and make costumes. And also got a majority of our costumes from Milken School. An addition to that the actors will have to use their bodies to portray the characters movement and emotion.”                                

Since Ms. Miller had wanted the musical to be diverse she assigned younger students with older students, so the older students could have the experience of theatre and bonding with the younger students.

“When I first came to the school the musical was only for elementary, and I wanted to inspire older students to participate in the musical, theatre, and magic. The challenges are coordinating all the schedules, but the benefits are that it gives younger students and older students a chance to work together in a creative way.”

“There are even students in third grade working with the seventh graders. The younger students seem to look up to the older students, and the older students get to see how talented the younger students are. It’s kind of like there’s a mutual respect and appreciation.”

Charlotte M.,  a seventh grader at Pilgrim School, attends theatre and has a role in the Lion King play. She’d also already had the experience of theatre and says it has always been a part of her life.

“Theatre was always part of my life. I took acting classes and singing classes.  At my old school I did musicals for several years, and I like doing musicals because you get to bond with other kids. So I wanted to get the feeling back by participating in another musical.

I think at the age we’re at right know and younger we need to try new things and get the feeling of them. This is because you don’t now if you might like something if you don’t try it.

Whenever I do musicals and plays I always enjoy bonding with people because you get to have fun with the cast, and I think participating in musicals is a great bonding experience for everybody.

It might be difficult for students to master a character, but it just takes practice, and sooner or later you grow into your character. By practicing it’s easier for you to stay in character throughout the scenes.”