The Taste of a Change

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Taste of a Change

Bianca L.-R.

This year Pilgrim School has changed its food system from City Cuisine to Commonwealth Cafe, meaning they’ve changed everything from food to staff! Pilgrim wanted to make a healthier meal system for students and teachers.  The menu they are serving this year offers a variety of foods, based on what students enjoy and what the students are used to eating. Joseph Gotti, head of Commonwealth Cafe, describes the food as “fresh, local and comforting.”

The process of creating a well-balanced meal for all the students at Pilgrim is difficult because the chefs have to work around allergies, dietary needs, and requests. It takes the Commonwealth Cafe Staff four to five hours to prepare the food for all the students and faculty at Pilgrim. Joseph Gotti and his staff try to figure out what kids enjoy and what they have oriented themselves to eating. Then, they go on from there, and then they come up with a monthly menu.

Not only did the food change, but the process of getting food efficiently changed as well. Alaine F. said, “I think the two lines for lunch is great because you can either wait a long time for food or not. ” Last year City Cuisine timed the lines to see how fast the students received their food, and it took 15 minutes for the students to get their food. This year Gotti timed lines and the time was around 6 minutes.This may seem like a small change, but because the secondary lunch time is now ten minutes shorter, every minute counts.

Our snacks during break time have also changed. We now have richer muffins, excellent coffee cake, and a larger variety of refreshing drinks. Harper R. said, “I think the food is delicious, but I miss the cereal.”  The Staff also uses new technology such as iPads so that they can properly keep track of what they sell. The students are responding positively to the changes made so far.