You’ll Never Be Bored at Pilgrim School

New Additions to the Pilgrim School Schedule

Anastasia D.

Mr. Oishi and his class work on some puzzles.

The new additions to the Pilgrim School schedule have many students buzzing with excitement. One of the new middle school electives is a fun class called Math and Games, taught by Mr Oishi. This class is not for building math skills, since students already do that in their regular math classes.  The main goal is to help the scholars with logic, which is useful in many other classes. Since the class started, Mr. Oishi and his students found some difficulties with how the class worked. As a result,  he is now collaborating with Mr. Grady on tweaking it so that it is more comfortable for the kids. Mr. Oishi said that “it is too early to notice a pattern of how well the kids are doing versus at the beginning of the year.”  From the student perspective they think that the class can be useful in their regular school activities.

Another thriving addition to the schedule is Forensic Science. Mr. Cardella teaches the class, and he says that his main point in Forensic Science is to teach kids how to investigate and find out important details in a story.  Mr. Cardella says that “Forensic Science is basically the application of science to the law.  Most people think of the CSI television shows, which have a good representation of Forensic Science. However,  when you look at the details, sometimes those shows gloss over what really happens during the forensic process.” Some of the kids in Forensic Science did not know what they were getting into when they started the class.  As it turns out, they get to do a variety of labs throughout the year, including fingerprinting, blood spatter analysis, and even ballistics, which is the science of how bullets travel and embed into materials.  Students will also get a chance to explore famous criminal cases, such as the O.J. Simpson murder trial.

Students quiz each other about Forensic Science.