• Seventh Graders off to Superb Second Year of Middle School News Site

The student news site of Pilgrim Middle School

Pilgrim Pioneer

Time to Be Flexible

Flex Block is a great new part of the school day!

Nursain M.

Flex block was introduced to Pilgrim school this year, but are people enjoying it? So far students and teachers are making good use of the time given to us during flex. A few things that people are doing during this time are going to Learning Lab to get help from teachers and raising their grades in math by taking a concept check. Some non-academic activities include playing ping-pong, board games, or just hanging out with friends while eating snacks.

Many students attend clubs that happen during flex block. Some of the current clubs are hacking club, the science bowl, art club, Girls Learn International, and anime club. Students who want to start a new club can do that if they get a faculty member to sponsor them and a few students.  

One reason Pilgrim added flex block is to help students manage their time. In the previous years students had to use their lunch time, which was only fifty minutes, for too many activities, including meeting with teachers, finishing homework, attending clubs, taking concept checks, and socializing. All this and eating too!

That is just the student side of flex but the hour-long break benefits the teachers as well. Teachers have extra time to prepare for class, grade student work or actually have a break.

Pilgrim has also taken advantage of flex time to add an advisory program for sixth and seventh graders.  It also helps avoid disruptions to the normal school day, since special programs can be scheduled during flex.