Upgrading Advisory

Back to Article
Back to Article

Upgrading Advisory

Jessica D., Reporter

Many sixth and seventh grade students have mixed opinions about Pilgrim School’s new program, advisory. To gather information, I spoke to teachers and made a student survey.

There were a few recurring suggestions for advisory. Most students believe that we should play more games and have food more often. Other suggestions were to make advisory shorter or to make it at a different time. Some students think that Thursdays at flex block is a good time to have advisory, others do not. Flex block is the ideal time to have advisory, but it could be shortened to give students more break time.

Advisory consists of small groups of sixth and seventh grade students, and the goal is to have advisory be a safe environment for students. Ariana P. said “Sometimes I feel like we don’t know each other well enough to make a safe environment.”

I think that students would look forward to advisory more if we talked about events coming up at Pilgrim. Monica M. said “I think we could do more activities during advisory.” Students also enjoy playing games with their peers, similar to what each grade does during trips week.

Ms. Logue said that advisory could be improved if every week there was an academic check-in, where students would be told if they had any missing assignments.

Mrs. Chaskes said that advisory groups could be smaller. With a smaller group it would be easier to make a community.

Advisory began this year with sixth and seventh grade, and it is planned to eventually include grades  all the way through high school.