• Seventh Graders off to Superb Second Year of Middle School News Site

The student news site of Pilgrim Middle School

Pilgrim Pioneer

Advisory Perks

At the beginning of this year, a new tradition started at Pilgrim School, and it is called advisory. The program consists of groups of students in one grade level meeting once a week in a classroom with one or more faculty members. During this time, they talk about different social and academic issues, and they do activities. Advisory is there primarily to provide a social and emotional bond among students and between the faculty members and the students.

One memorable activity from advisory so far was creating Thanksgiving food boxes to give to needy families at Alexandria House, a local food shelter.  Sixth graders have also visited  pre-school classes to read and play in buddy pairs.  Seventh graders ended 2015 with secret gift and note giving in their advisories.

There are many great things about advisory, including snacks once a month. Most students believe that they should keep going steady with serving food. for example, Olivia B. in seventh grade said, “They should keep serving food because most kids don’t get a good breakfast in the morning.”

However, most teachers believe that the true perk of advisory is the fact that it provides a connection and bond with the students and teachers in a different setting. Mr. Oishi said, “Not only do students grow academically but in a social and in an emotional way.”

Advisory is great because it allows students to get academic and social ideas out in a group of students and teachers. And that creates a good feeling at school. It is also really handy that we have the opportunity to talk about current events that are happening both in and out of our community. It is also a great, safe and confidential environment, where we can share ideas without being judged for our thoughts.