The student news site of Pilgrim Middle School

Pilgrim’s iPads: Useful or Useless?

December 3, 2016

Expand iPads’ Uses

Here at Pilgrim seventh and eighth grade students are given laptops and iPads to help expand their education, but the iPads are rarely used.  In a survey given to students in the seventh grade , the iPads were rated badly and only good as replacements for forgotten laptops,But that is not the full story.  In an interview Charles Mesa,who works on the technology department revealed another side to the story.  While many teachers only use the laptops, there are specific uses for the iPads as well.  These include mobile note taking/viewing, filming and editing movies, and organizing pictures for easier use in presentations.  Although students can put textbooks on the iPads, this has the disadvantage that of not being able to view a large infographic. Mr. Mesa believes that teachers don’t always take advantage of the iPads because they don’t always know how.

One solution that lets everyone at Pilgrim take full advantage of the useful devices students are required to care for and keep with them, is that towards the beginning of the year the teachers could hold a meeting where they are informed of how to best use the laptops and the ipads.  

Students are required by the school to charge and take care of these devices that we don’t use.  Unless teachers learn to use the iPads they are only making backpacks heavier for no good reason. Also keeping these devices charged wastes energy and takes up outlets at school that might be needed for more useful electronics.